Practitioner Lab 4: File path traversal, validation of start of path

 This lab contains a path traversal vulnerability in the display of product images.

The application transmits the full file path via a request parameter, and validates that the supplied path starts with the expected folder.

To solve the lab, retrieve the contents of the /etc/passwd file.





I began by going into the page with an image and captured the request.

I then opened Burp Suite and looked at the request and as the lab specified the request will not work unless it has the main path of /var/www/images



I tried to check what answer it would give me when I didn't have the full path name just to learn.



After putting a full path name it worked out including the starting point of /var/www/images.

Now the lab is solved.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vulnerability Management(Nessus)

Active Directory Home Lab

TightVNC and Colasoft Packet Builder Lab

Wireshark Mini Lab