Alternative Data Streams

In this lab, I will play around with alternative data streams. I was provided a disk image with a lot of files. I will use FTK Imager to try and find any data that might have been hidden in the alternative data stream.



I found some alternative file streams and looked at all of them

Here are some others I found.
There seems to be a password in this one, which I could use to unlock a a file later on.
now I found a weird jpg which was called SeceretEvidence, I tried to export it to another location and then attempted to use Exiftool on it. This did not work.



I tried putting in on cyberchef to see if one of the options could work. I tried to see which type of file it was. If maybe I could forcefully unzip it, or maybe if I could extract any files that it might have hidden inside. None of this worked so I went back to the original location of the file to play with it.

When I went back to look at the file it asked me for a password which was the same one I had previously found so I just used it and got to see the image.


This was just a simple and small lab to play around with FTKimager as well as to learn about alternative data streams.

Alternative Data Streams are a feature of the NTFS file system. ADS allows additional data to be hidden in a file without changing its size or affecting its functionality. This additional data is typically hidden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vulnerability Management(Nessus)

Active Directory Home Lab

TightVNC and Colasoft Packet Builder Lab

Lab 2 Access Controls